Robert T. Smith
Finance & Commercial Transactions
- 400 West Capitol Avenue Suite 2000 Little Rock, Arkansas 72201-3493
Robert T. Smith heads the Finance and Commercial Transactions Practice Group and serves on the firm’s Management Committee. His diverse corporate practice focuses on representing companies and financial institutions in general business, transactional, securities and regulatory matters. He has handled transactions in a variety of areas including the banking, healthcare, real estate and technology industries.
In the banking area, Robert advises clients on merger and acquisition transactions, lending, regulatory compliance and capital raising activities. He assists clients in private equity and corporate finance matters, the offering of debt and equity securities, and counseling directors and executive officers regarding fiduciary duties and corporate governance issues. Robert also regularly represents professionals and professional firms in the formation, expansion, merger, and division of professional practices.
- University of Florida College of Law, LL.M. in Taxation, 2001; Graduate Editor, Florida Tax Review
- University of Arkansas at Little Rock School of Law, J.D., With Honors, 1999; Associate Editor, UALR Law Review
- University of Arkansas at Little Rock, B.S., With Honors, Accounting, 1996
- Arkansas Business - 40 Under 40, 2013
- Certified Public Accountant (Registered Inactive), Arkansas
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, Securities/Capital Markets Law and Tax Law, since 2013 and Corporate Law, Banking and Finance Law and Mergers and Acquisitions Law, since 2020
- Named by The Best Lawyers in America as the "Lawyer of the Year," Banking and Finance Law, Little Rock, 2020 and "Lawyer of the Year," Securities and Capital Markets Law, 2016 and 2019
- Named by Arkansas Business and Little Rock Soirée, "Best Lawyers in Little Rock," Tax, 2017 and 2019
- Named by Mid-South Super Lawyers as Rising Star, 2009-2014
- Named to the Mid-South Super Lawyers list, since 2019
- Ranked in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers Business, Corporate/Commercial
- Voted by the readers of AY Magazine for inclusion in the “Best Lawyers in Arkansas,” Tax Law, 2018
- Publication: Dodd-Frank: What Every Community Banker Should Know, November, 2010 edition of The Arkansas Banker
- Publication: Small Business Lending Fund Program, February, 2011 edition of The Arkansas Banker
- Publication: JOBS Act, Guest Column, Arkansas Business, April 9, 2015
- Publication: Crowd Funding, Expert Advice, Arkansas Business, November 23, 2015
- Arkansas Development Finance Authority
- Arkansas Urology
- Arkansas Venture Capital Investment Trust
- Bank of England
- Canada Bancshares, Inc.
- Capital Bancshares, Inc.
- The Citizens Bank
- Cross County Bank
- Encore Bank
- Endodontic Associates of Arkansas
- Farmers Bank & Trust
- Farmers & Merchants Bank
- First Bank Corporation
- First Carroll Bankshares, Inc.
- First Financial Bank
- First Financial Banc Corporation
- First National Bank of North Arkansas
- First National Bank of Fort Smith
- First State Bank
- First State Banking Corporation
- Gateway Bank
- GBMc & Associates, Inc.
- Generations Bank
- George's, Inc.
- Greenhouse Strategic Partners, LLC
- HARCO Constructors, LLC
- Harrell Bancshares, Inc.
- Intimidator, Inc.
- Magnolia Banking Corporation
- MedEvolve, Inc.
- Merchants & Farmers Bank
- NOW Diagnostics, Inc.
- Orion Capital Partners Central, L.L.C.
- PinPoint Testing, LLC
- Polk Stanley Wilcox Architects, Ltd.
- Privacy Star
- Rubber & Gasket Company of America, Inc.
- Simmons Bank
- Student Mobilization
Associations & Memberships
- American Bar Association
- American Heart Association – Central Arkansas, Member of Corporate Committee, 2012-2013
- Arkansas Bar Association, Tax Section; Chairman, 2008-2009
- Arkansas Society of Certified Public Accountants (ASCPA), Taxation Committee; Federal Tax Institute Committee, Co-Chair 2006, 2008
- Arkansas Rice Depot, Board of Directors, 2003-2008
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF), Board of Directors, 2012-2018
- Leadership Arkansas, Class IV
- Risk Management Association, Board of Directors
- Arkansas, 1999