Laura H. Smith
- [email protected]
- 400 West Capitol Avenue Suite 2000 Little Rock, Arkansas 72201-3493
Laura H. Smith is a partner in the firm and a member of the Medical Malpractice Practice Group and her particular emphasis is on defending catastrophic injury cases. Laura’s clients benefit from her experience in defending these cases as lead counsel in more than 80 jury trials for more than 30 years. Because of her track record, she is often called upon to serve as regional counsel in major litigation.
Laura is the recipient of the 2019 Outstanding Lawyer Award given for her outstanding contributions to her profession. The award is presented jointing by the Arkansas Bar Foundation and the Arkansas Bar Association.
Chambers and Partners said about Laura:
“Laura Smith is an undisputed leader in the area of medical malpractice defense work.”
- University of Arkansas School of Law, J.D., With Honors, 1981, Member, Arkansas Law Review, Member, University of Arkansas Supreme Court, Member, Honor Counsel, Leflar Law Center
- Southern Methodist University, B.S., 1977, SMU Student Foundation, Student Advisory Council, President, Alpha Delta Pi Sorority
- Arkansas Times, Best Lawyers, Medical Malpractice Defense
- America's Top 100 Attorneys, Lifetime Achievement, Arkansas
- International Symposia Advisory Board for "The Experts Analyze Brain Damaged Baby Cases" (UC Davis Center for Perinatal Medicine and Law) 1999-2004
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, Personal Injury Litigation and Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants, since 1991
- Outstanding Defense Attorney by the Arkansas Association of Defense Counsel, 2008
- Ranked by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Litigation: General Commercial, since 2005
- Regional Counsel for Baby Brain Damage Cases for St. Paul Fire & Marine Insurance Company
- Recipient of the 2019 Outstanding Lawyer Award presented jointing by the Arkansas Bar Foundation and the Arkansas Bar Association.
- Selected by attorney peers for inclusion in Mid-South Super Lawyers, since 2006
- Part of the national trial team representing a device manufacturer in the pelvic mesh litigation area, handling cases in multiple states.
- Represented a large pharmaceutical company, serving as trial counsel in the mass torts court in Philadelphia.
- Served as co-lead trial counsel in an action by the Arkansas Attorney General against a major pharmaceutical company.
Associations & Memberships
- Alpha Delta Pi
- American Inns of Court, Overton Inn; President, 1997-1998
- Arkansas Bar Foundation, Fellow and Sustaining Member; Board of Directors, 2004-2014; President, 2013-2014
- Arkansas Association of Defense Counsel, 1981-Present
- Delta Theta Phi
- Federation of Insurance & Corporate Counsel, since 1991
- Leadership Greater Little Rock, Class XIX Graduate
- Pulaski Bar Association, 1981-Present; President, 2001, 2002
- Ouachita Girl Scout Council, Board of Directors, 1993-1997; Chairman of Fund Development 1995-1996; Girl Scout Troop Leader
- Our Way, Inc., Board of Directors, 1981-1986, President, 1985
- VOCALS (Volunteers Organization for Central Arkansas), pro bono legal work, Board of Directors 1989-1997, President, 1996-1997
- Arkansas, 1981
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas