Joshua C. Ashley
- 400 West Capitol Avenue Suite 2000 Little Rock, Arkansas 72201-3493
Joshua C. Ashley concentrates his practice in railroad litigation, appellate advocacy, oil-and-gas litigation, and commercial litigation.
Before joining the firm, Josh clerked for the Honorable Susan O. Hickey of the United States District Court for the Western District of Arkansas, the Honorable D.P. Marshall Jr. of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas and the Honorable Lavenski R. Smith of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit. He also practiced oil-and-gas and complex commercial litigation at a law firm in Texas.
Josh graduated with honors from the University of Arkansas School of Law, where he was articles editor of the Journal of Food Law & Policy. He received his undergraduate degree from Southern Methodist University.
- University of Arkansas School of Law, J.D., Articles Editor, Journal of Food Law & Policy, 2011
- Southern Methodist University, B.A., Political Science, 2007
- Eagle Scout
- Compassion International child sponsor
- Publication: Co-Author of "Handling Appeals in Arkansas" published by the Arkansas Bar Association
- Hon. Lavenski R. Smith, United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, 2016-2017
- Hon. D.P. Marshall Jr., United States District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas, 2015-2016
- Hon. Susan O. Hickey, United States District Court for the Western District of Arkansas, 2012-2013
Summary judgment for railroad in a Federal Employers’ Liability Act case. Spence v. Union Pacific, No. 3:17-cv-3074, 2019 WL 1281244 (W.D. Ark. Mar. 20, 2019).
- Reversal of soveriegn-immunity dismissal in oil-and-gas agency appeal. Ark. Oil & Gas Commission v. Hurd, et al., 2018 Ark. 397, 564 S.W.3d 248
- Summary judgment for railroad in a Federal Employer’s Liability Act case involving a railroad contractor. Thomas v. Union Pacific, No. 4:16-cv-4052, 2018 WL 3747467 (W.D. Ark. Aug. 7, 2018)
- Reversal of $1.8 million judgment in commercial dispute involving tortious-interference, deceptive trade practices act, and FOIA claims. Apprentice Information Systems, Inc. v. DataScout, LLC, 2018 Ark. 146, 544 S.W.3d 39; 2018 Ark. 149, 544 S.W.3d 536
- Dismissal of plaintiff’s appeal from summary judgment in a wrongful-death case involving an off-duty employee. McGary v. Union Pacific, No. CV-17-858 (Ark. Supreme Court)
- Summary judgment for railroad in an industrial-accident wrongful-death case. Perkins v. Kiamichi R.R. Co., No. 4:16-cv-4043, 2017 WL 6452777 (W.D. Ark. Dec. 18, 2017)
Associations & Memberships
- Arkansas Bar Association
- Eighth Circuit Bar Association
- Scribes: The American Society of Legal Writers
- The Judge Henry Woods American Inn of Court
- Texas, 2011
- Arkansas, 2012
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Arkansas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit