Martin A. Kasten
- (501) 370-1456
- (501) 244-5330
Martin A. Kasten is a partner in the Litigation department of Friday, Eldredge & Clark, and focuses his practice on tort litigation and class actions in federal and state courts. His trial work includes the defense of claims involving business torts, Attorney General actions, Arkansas’ deceptive trade practices act, insurance coverage, products liability, including pharmaceuticals, automobile accidents, premises liability and breach of contracts. Martin also regularly handles appeals to Arkansas’ highest appellate courts and to the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit.
Martin is regularly involved in complex and high-stakes matters, with his significant representations including:
- The overturning of a $1.2 billion Medicaid fraud judgment, an $11 million deceptive trade practices act judgment, and a $180 million attorney fee award.
- In a pro bono matter, representing a former law enforcement officer who appealed a conviction for leading a continuing criminal enterprise. For his efforts in spearheading a reversal of a 40-year sentence and a dismissal of the criminal enterprise charge, Martin was recognized by the Arkansas Bar Association with the Lawyer Community Legacy award.
- The successful defense, with the firm’s team, of a constitutional challenge to landmark Arkansas legislation permitting racing franchise holders to conduct electronic gaming.
- The successful defense of an appeal of a toxic tort case, where the plaintiff claimed his exposure to diesel fuel and exhaust caused his multiple myeloma.
- To trial, Martin successfully pursued a breach of contract on behalf of a landlord and obtained a verdict for $690,000 in a commercial property damage dispute.
- Martin has also handled multiple appeals involving airplane and helicopter crashes.
- Ethicon, Inc.
- Johnson & Johnson
- Kohl’s Department Stores, Inc.
- Ortho-McNeil-Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, J.D., magna cum laude,1999
- Illinois State University, B.S., summa cum laude, 1995
- Publication: Co-Author of "Handling Appeals in Arkansas" published by the Arkansas Bar Association
- Recipient of the Arkansas Bar Association’s Lawyer Community Legacy Award
- Selected by attorney peers for inclusion in Mid-South Super Lawyers, General Litigation and named "Rising Star"
Associations & Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Arkansas Bar Association
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Pulaski County Bar Association
- Arkansas, 1999
- Illinois, 2000
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas